Is a blood count of 104 low?

General Surgeon
I live in Canada with the metric system and my doctor said my blood count is 104 is that low?
Posted Wed, 12 Sep 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 4 hours later
I guess we are talking about hemoglobin grams per liter. The reference range for hemoglobin is about 120-175 g/L. So if you were told about hemoglobin than the answer is: yes that is low.
However "blood count" includes: red blood cells, hemoglobin, hematocrite, white blood cells, platelets, so it would be more easy if you would specify about what exacly your doctor was talking about. You can write down all the numbers here for easy interpretation. You can ask the lab guy or the staff at the clinic.
Hope this will help
Feel free to ask further questions.