Is a blockage in the branch of the main aorta in lower abdomen an aneurysm?

Excellent

Question
Posted Fri, 31 May 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Venkat Sivayogi 20 minutes later

Blockade of the branch of Aorta can be due to Atherosclorosis . As per your guessing Aneurysm is an abnormal dilatation due to weakening of the arterial wall.

If you have aneurysm you will experience pulsatile waves for every heart beat and some times even audible sounds known as BRUIT can be observed.

This can be confirmed by simple sonogram.

If you have any further doubts write back to us.

Dr XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Is a blockage in the branch of the main aorta in lower abdomen an aneurysm? 3 hours later
I do have Atherosclorsis...a 60% blockage in om-2 circ. However when I was told that there was a blockage in a branch of the Aorta, the only information I could find was about aneurysms. So I'm asking the question again. Is a blockage in the a branch of the Aorta in the abdomen an aneurysm?
I do have Atherosclorsis. However when I was told I had a blockage in a branch of the Aorta in the abdomem I assumed that meant It was an aneurysm. Am I correct with that assumption? Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Venkat Sivayogi 37 hours later
Welcome back to Healthcare Magic.

Blockade of branch of Abdominal Aorta points more towards Atherosclerosis rather than an aneurysm. Atherosclerosis is a medical term used for blockade of any blood vessel with cholesterol plaques. In some cases due to long standing atherosclerosis the wall of the vessel gets weakened and leads to abnormal dilatation and what we call it as Aneurysm.

If a patient has aneurysm, he/she presents to the physician with pulsatile swelling or bruit. In addition, more over aneurysm is more common in large arteries like abdominal aorta or carotid vessels, it’s very uncommon in branches of main arteries. Instead, atherosclerosis can affect any artery. So, your assumption is wrong. A sonogram gives clarification whether you have aneurysm or not.
Hope you are clarified now.

DR XXXXXXX