Is a banana shaped gestational sac dangerous?

I am 32 years old and 6.5 weeks pregnant. Had U/S yesterday with normal fetal heart rate of 130. Only problem was a banana shaped gestational sac. Is this significant? And I did have an empty bladder during U/S.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Follow-up: Is a banana shaped gestational sac dangerous? 36 minutes later
Also, the CRL was 7mm. My doctor said that all fetal and yolk sac measurements were appropriate for dates. The ultrasound was transvaginal.
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 7 hours later

Gestational sac is dark space surrounded by white rim.
It appears as an oval or elliptical structure in which concave indentation is from placenta.Normally situated sac is in the fundus , eccentrically placed.
Your yolk sac is normal , it is seen at 5 weeks.
So banana shape is normal depending upon the view of ultrasound scan , transverse or longitudinal.
Full bladder gives a good 'acoustic window' and we can see sac more clearly on TAS.
Crown rump length is also normal.

Wishing you good health

Follow-up: Is a banana shaped gestational sac dangerous? 5 hours later
From what our physician told us, the sac does not "appear" as a banana from certain angles, rather he states that after a comprehensive ultrasound, then sac is actually banana shaped. He found it odd, but since all other measuements were fine he was not too concerned. I know that an abnormal sac without cardiac activity is concerning. The question for you is: is an abnormal, banana shaped sac concerning when coupled with normal measurements, heart rate, etc.? Thanks very much.
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 1 hour later
Hello again,

An abnormal banana shaped sac with normal measurements and heart rate is not a health concern.

Was it a 3D ultrasound ?

I think to be 100 % sure one has to go for beta hCG levels which along with ultrasound improves the diagnostic accuracy.

They should be between 1000 -2000 IU/ml.

In normal gestation there should be at least two fold increase within 72 hrs.

A poorly defined gestational sac , large yolk sac , lowly placed sac in the uterine cavity are the other indicators which are not there in your case.

Hope I have answered your query.