Is a HIV DNA PCR test accurate after 4 days of possible exposure?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Posted Wed, 26 Sep 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
HIV DNA PCR test can give accurate results at least 2 weeks after an HIV infection. If the test comes negative then you need to retest till 6 months after the exposure to confirm that the you have not contacted the infection .
I shall like to caution you that this test is extremely sensitive, sometimes a false positive result may come (you do not have infection and you are test positive). It can be psychologically devastating. Also, HIV RNA test is more useful in a diagnosed case of HIV to decide when to start anti HIV drugs.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Is a HIV DNA PCR test accurate after 4 days of possible exposure? 13 minutes later
So the test I took doesn't give me a good indicator that I'm not infected? I'm going to test again on 9/10 with the HIV 1 & 2 AB SCRN RFLX WB and that will make it 17 days since possible exposure?
Will the test I take on 9/10 be a good indicator or conclusive?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
It is best to wait till 4 weeks after exposure to get a conclusive result.
Since you tested negative 4 days after exposure, it is likely to be negative later also.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.