Is Zovirax a good treatment for Chicken Pox in children & adults?

Oncologist
Question
Is Zovirax a good treatment protocol for Chicken Pox for children and adults?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in General Health
Follow-up: Is Zovirax a good treatment for Chicken Pox in children & adults? 2 minutes later
I had always heard that the coming out of the rashes of chicken pox was better than they getting suppressed through medication. However, that is now being recommended by Doctors through Zovirax. Will it increase the chance of recurrence?

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 4 hours later
Hello and thank you for Saben your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations here.

To my knowledge there has been no good research which shows that the use of Zovirax to treat chickenpox is indicated in an otherwise healthy individual. If a patient is extremely debilitated with some degree of immunodeficiency it may be considered.

Chickenpox is a self limited illness which will run its course within about 10 days. It is generally the rule of thumb to support the patient with a case of chickenpox. Supportive care includes good diet with good hydration as well as limitation of exposure to other individuals who have not had chickenpox in the past.

The bottom-line Is that in and otherwise healthy individual antiviral treatment is not indicated for chickenpox.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have additional concerns relating to this topic I would be happy to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr. Robert

Follow-up: Is Zovirax a good treatment for Chicken Pox in children & adults? 5 hours later
Thank you for the comprehensive answer. Can you tell me what sort of diet (high or low in proteins, carbs, fats etc) is suitable.
I would also like to know about any possible side effects of Zovirax.

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 9 hours later
Hello and thank you for Sibett in your follow-up.

As far as diet is concerned generally we regard a diet that is well-balanced in protein carbohydrate and fat as an optimal diet. There has been no long-term data which supports a certain food group as far as having the ability to improve the immune system's strengths against fighting a viral infection. However there is a certain amino acid supplement which some researchers have suggested may have activity against viruses. This amino acid is lysine. 500-1000mg of this amino acid can be taken daily for about 10 days.

Regarding Zovirax there are minimal side effects. In rare cases at higher doses it can cause problems with kidney function. Otherwise no worrisome side effects are reported very commonly.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope this is been a very productive Exchange for you. If you have additional concerns I would be happy to discuss those with you as well.

Sincerely,

Dr. Robert