Is Zempred safe to take for white patches on my skin?

Hi, I was having few(7 of them mostly on my legs) white patches on my skin and when consulated Dermatologist, he diagonsied it as vitiligo and prescribed Zempred16 tablests twice a week,Crolim Power ontiment and Mometasone Furoarte ontiment to be used once a day to be applied on the patches. I found that the Zempred is a steriod, my question is to know if there are any side effects to these medicines and please let me know, if I have to stick to the allopathy or is there any other medicine to reduce or cure vitiligo.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 47 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Your question is a good one and I will try to give you some good information and recommendations.
These medications are generally very well tolerated but do have some limited side effects.

Yes Zempred is a steroid medication and can work well in treating an allergic or inflammatory process. Side effects include a bit of water retention, weight gain and increased appetite. It may cause a bit of agitation as well. All of these symptoms are very temporary and will go away after you stop taking the medication. Again it is safe and well tolerated.

I know of no other treatment including homeopathic remedies which would provide you a therapeutic benefit.

I suggest you follow your doctors recommendations in working toward treating the vitiligo.

I thank you again for the query and hope my answer is both helpful and informative for you. Should you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga