Is Z-Dex syrup R which is labeled a generic for Zotex, an expectorant? Have cough

Is Z-Dex syrup R which is labeled a generic for ZOTEX - an expectorant? I have a cough - I do not want to dry myself out - I have this medicine - it is not out of date - but before taking it - I want to be sure it is an expectorant.
Posted Thu, 24 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 3 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Information required by you is as following:-
Z-Dex syrup contains Dextromethorphan, Guaifenesin and Phenylephrine.
(1) Guaifenesin is an expectorant which makes mucus thin, thus mucus becomes loose and makes it easy to cough it out.
(2) Dextromethorphan is a cough suppressant, it suppresses cough centre in the brain, thus reduces the urge to cough.
(3) Phenylephrine is a decongestant, which help to relieve stuffy nose symptoms.
You have not mentioned that for how long you are suffering with cough? Is it dry or productive? If productive, what is the color of cough? Are you taking any medicine?
If cough is due to infection, you may require antibiotic also. You should not take it, if you are pregnant, breast feeding your child, allergic to any constituent or taking any MAO inhibitor drug. It will also not work, if cough is due to Smoking, Asthma or Emphysema.
Hope, I have answered your query. If you need any further clarification, I am available. If you don't require any further clarification, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wish you good health,