Is Vicodin safe for neck pain treatment?

My friend gave me Vicodin, I took two pills (over the last 8 hours) and had a couple of sips of an energy drink. And two pizza slices. I have an appointment with the Campus (Im in University) Health Service on Monday, and Im wondering if its ok to continue with the Vicodin as it helps.
Posted Tue, 25 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 38 minutes later
Brief Answer: Not Advisable Detailed Answer: Dear Friend. Hi , I am Dr Anshul Varshney , I have read your query in detail , I understand your concern. Vicodin contains Acetaminophen and Hydrocodone. I assume that you are taking this drug for you neck pain problem. Acetaminophen is safe if taken in moderated doses. The problem is with Hydrocodone. It is a opiod and narcotic. It can cause sedation and even a little mental sluggishness. So can interfere with your ability to work , answer , drive. I don't support it's use. I prefer to give plain Acetaminophen for pain purpose. This is my personal opinion based on details available here. If you still have any query you may please ask me. Stay Healthy. Dr Anshul Varshney , MD
Follow-up: Is Vicodin safe for neck pain treatment? 11 minutes later
Dear Doctor. Thank you for the quick response. Since its weekend, I took the pills since they were available. I prefer to stay safe and healthy myself, and tend to get anxiety if I take a pill that has not been recommended, or at least prescribed for me. So, basically, your advice is for me to go to the hospital and get some other painkillers? Ibuprofen doesnt really help much, and yes, it is for the neck. Its on both sides, like the inside of my neck has shrunk a bit.. Thank you, sincerely, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detail Follows Detailed Answer: Dear XXXX I appreciate that you are concerned. I would not recommend you to take Vicodin for such regular pain.We frequently experience such pains , so better to use a safe pain killer for this purpose in minimum dose and for minimal time. Vicodin has high addictive potential too. You may get yourself examined to find the cause of neck pain. If it is just an acute muscular pain , a combination of pain killer and muscle relaxants would help you. Drugs like Vicodin are used mainly for intractable pain. XXXXX, try to avoid it to stay healthy and happy :) If you don't have a further query , you may please close the discussion and rate it.