Is Vermox intake safe during pregnancy?

Mar 2013
Hi I am 33 weeks pregnant and I am a primary school teacher. I have caught threadworms for the third time during my pregnancy, the last two times they have gone as a result of strict hygiene. Unfortunately they don't seem to be going this time round, I spoke to a doctor over the phone who prescribed me vermox however she said it is to be taken at my own risk. I'm too nervous to take one but at the same time can't handle the worms any longer and don't want to give birth with them. Please can you give me advice, Thanks
Posted Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: EXPLAINED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. See, Vermox ( mebendazole ) is pregnancy category C, which means that in animals it has shown birth defects, and higher incidence of adverse fetal outcomes, but there are no studies in pregnant women, obviously for ethical reasons. However, whatever studies HAVE been conducted, have failed to show the same devastating effect of the drug in human women. Am attaching two links, which will reassure you - WWW.WWWW.WW In the end, your doctor is right, it is your choice, it is an informed decision you make. If I had a patient, or I was one, I would NOT give birth with threadworms. I would go ahead and take the deworming tablets, as at 33 weeks, most organ systems are well formed, and chances of any adverse effects are almost negligible. Hope that answers your query to a reasonable extent. All the best. Please feel free to discuss further.