Is UTI common when having diabetic type 2 and is it dangerous?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Hi doctor good afternoon for England UK. I am a 34 year old male and have a UTI diagnosed. My questions are; 1) are these common in diabtetic type 2 men like me? 2) are the dangerous? 3) and how long do they take to clear up with anti biotics. I am a very anxious person.
Posted Fri, 3 Jan 2014 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. UTI is the most common infection after respiratory ones,and it develops in healthy people of any age. Although, usually this is seen in women or in men >50. But when there are associated chronic diseases such as diabetes, kideny diseases, chronic infections,weakened imune system or some urogenital anomalies, it is seen in your age too and this is nothing strange. Diabetes (1 or 2) is a risk factor for any kind of infection,including UTI. Also this is not XXXXXXX it can only cause unpleasant symptoms and very rarely it can lead to complications such as pyelonephritis or sepsis(it usually happens in untreated cases in older patients with associated serious diseases). In noncomplicated cases it heals without any treatment,but today it is recommended to treat UTI with 5-14 days of antibiotic course. Since most of UTI is caused by E.coli microbe,standard antibiotics are efficient and you should recover within 5 days after antibiotic is started. Rarely,antibiotics are uneffective and then you need to do urinoculture to verify the exact microbe and its sensitivity. After this, the more specific antibiotic can be used. In every case,this is relatively easily treatable and you dont have to be worried at all. Also, UTIs sometimes recur and it may occur even few times a year, in this case you should do more detailed urologic work up to rule out some urologic disorders. But you are young and I dont expect that it will happen in your case so just be patient,drink plenty of fluids, cranberry tea, and use antibiotics as recommended Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards
Follow-up: Is UTI common when having diabetic type 2 and is it dangerous? 5 minutes later
Thanks doctor, i was worried about kidney failure and desase. The doctor said it was a water infection. Is that te same as UTI? The symtpoms i had was that i kept peeing! Several times. Will this clear up? Many thanks,
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 2 hours later
Brief Answer: hi Detailed Answer: yes,it is the same as water infection. Kidney failure is extremely rarely caused by UTI and you should not be worried about it.there would be some other signs and symptoms. You can check your kidneys by checking kidney functional tests. Frequent urination is typical sign of UTI and it will subside in few days and full recovery is expected after 7-14 days. Just be patient and dont worry.