Is Trichomonas vaginalis transmitted through female genitalia and vaginal fluids?

Question
I am a 21 year old religious woman and was married 3 years ago but the marriage was never consumated - no penetration and no ejaculation. I lived with my parents until I remarried on Oct. 3rd 2013, still a virgin with absolutely no sexual or physical contact with a man during the interim and became pregnant almost immediately (am currently in 14th week of pregnancy) A few weeks into the marriage I had a burning sensation and white discharge from the vagina. My husband also complained of a burning sensation after sex - he also was a virgin 38 years old and maintains the first direct contact he has had with the female genitalia was with me. My obstetrician has just informed me that I have Trichomonas vaginalis. How is this possible. My husband is suggesting it is strictly transmitted through the female genetalia and vaginal fluids, public womens bathhouse (religious mikva) is a strong possibility. Could this be possible?
Posted Tue, 11 Feb 2014 in Sexual Problems

Answered by Dr. Saatiish Jhuntrraa 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Your diagnosis not confirmed by Culture Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for choosing WWW.WWWW.WW I think there needs to be clarification. Trichomoniasis or infection with trichomonas is indeed a sexually transmitted disease but the color of vaginal discharge is yellowish /greenish, frothy and foul smelling but you had white discharge with no foul smell. Your doctor has assumed that it was trichomoniasis infection but no culture was done to confirm. Usually it may be associated with fungal infection ,which I think is the primary culprit in your case. so although your husband is right, your doctor has not been accurate hope this will be helpful DR SAATIISH JHUNTRRAA

Follow-up: Is Trichomonas vaginalis transmitted through female genitalia and vaginal fluids? 53 minutes later
During a routine pregnancy exam the doctor took a vaginal smear for std's and I was diagnosed with Trichomonsas confirmed by culture. Pls re-respond to my above questions as I stated clearly that the obstetrician informed me that I have T.V. No doctor worth his/her salt would say a pregnant woman had Trichomonsas and give her medication during pregnancy if it had not been confirmed by a culture.

Answered by Dr. Saatiish Jhuntrraa 1 hour later
Brief Answer: I still hold the same view point Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the question Please try to understand my view point. I have told you that vaginal discharge due to trichomonas is yellowish/green and foul smelling. Usually whitish discharge without foul smell may be a normal vaginal discharge at the time of ovulation and is due to sudden surge of estrogen to help fertilization. Secondly ,have you seen the report yourself? I still feel you had a mixed vaginal infection . I have never questioned the ability of your doctor but I have a different view point based on the information given, supported by scientific facts Hope this will help DR SAATIISH JHUNTRRAA

Follow-up: Is Trichomonas vaginalis transmitted through female genitalia and vaginal fluids? 29 minutes later
I have seen the lab report. I have it in my possession. I HAVE trich. This was found during the routine STD smear performed a couple of weeks ago. Also my husband had a burning sensation during intercourse. Please answer my question with the knowledge that there is a positive Trich dx from a laboratory. I do not want to use all my questions on whether there is a lab report or not. There is so please go from there thank you

Answered by Dr. Saatiish Jhuntrraa 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: I still hold the same view Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for information that it was confirmed by culture.But medically there is a problem in the presentation. Your symptoms are not consistent with trichomonas infection. White discharge can be due to sexual excitement, during pregnancy or periovulatory period and a normal finding whereas trichomonas causes frothy greenish vaginal discharge with a musty odor. This can be found in any medical textbook. Secondly men can be asymptomatic carriers . I have given my scientific opinion based on the information provided. Good Luck DR SAATIISH JHUNTRRAA