Is Triamcincolone Acetonide an antifungal or antibiotic medication?

Pulmonologist
Question
Is Triamcinolone Acetonide an antifungal/antibiotic cream for this condition?
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 2 hours later
Hi Ricki,

Thanks for posting you query.

Your query seems to be about Triamcinolone Acetonide. Based on your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. Triamcinolone Acetonide is NOT an antifungal or antibiotic.

2. It is a synthetic corticosteroid mainly used to treat various skin conditions, mostly allergic/ immunological to decrease the associated inflammation.

3. Triamcinolone acetonide should not be used by those with tuberculosis or untreated fungal, bacterial, viral or herpes infections without consulting a doctor first. Thus it should not be used in untreated active skin infection, since it can flare up the infection.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer any follow up queries.

Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Regards.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB

Follow-up: Is Triamcincolone Acetonide an antifungal or antibiotic medication? 4 hours later
I was prescribed this for an extreme case of hives a few weeks ago. I have been batteling painful chaffing around the anus (pink in color) and read on your site that you should treat it with an antifungal cream. I had pneumonia 3 months ago and after all the antibiotics I had to take diflucan for a month to cure thrush. Could this be related and can you buy an antifungal cream over the counter?

Thank you,

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 3 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

After going through your follow up history, I would comment the following:

1. You have a history of suffering from Urticaria. You need to take an antihistimine medicine (eg. Hydroxyzine, cetrizine) under prescription from your physician for this condition.

2. Fungal etiology is a possibility of the skin lesion around the anus but you should get it examined by a dermatologist prior to starting an antifungal preparation which should ideally be taken on prescription with your physician. Sometimes there is also associated secondary bacterial infection when you need to start an antibiotic +antifungal cream. Please get the lesion clinically examined by a dermatologist and the get the appropriate medication prescribed accordingly as per the examination findings.

3. Considering that you were treated with antibiotics for pneumonia, there is a possibility of antibiotics being a trigger for this condition but then this skin condition should have developed during the antibiotic therapy.

4. Also if you have associated itching around the anus (pruritis ani), then you need to consider a parasitic etiology also and get a deworming agent prescribed by your physician.

Regards.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB