Is Synasma safe for hypertensives and diabetics? Levomac causing rash. Should I continue it?

Is synasma safe for hypertensives,diabetics? I am prescribed levomac 500 one a day for fever and cough and cold. I got mild rash at 2-3 spots. Should I continue to use levo mac?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 56 minutes later

Yes, synasma is safe for you and can take it.

The rash that you are having could be due to the drug or fever it self. Please wait and continue the drug as advised for a day as the rash at present not significant.

In case the rash spreads and you started to have itching or redness, please stop the drug and visit your doctor. You need to have examination to look for the cause.

Other wise both the drugs are well tolerated and safe. Still the response may vary in individuals.

Please take the drugs with food only.

Please take good nourishing diet and liquids properly to recover fast.

I hope this helps and clarify your concern.

Do write again if you have something more to ask.

In case you do not have further query, please accept the answer.

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 17 minutes later

Synasma drug by Rnabaxy contains doxofylline which is a new generation long acting oral methyxanthine derivative. Its mainly used for maintenance therapy in patients suffering with Asthma and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD).

It has potential side effects like arrhythmias, headache, nausea, vomiting, tachycardia, insomnia, abdominal pain, shortening of breath, contractions, proteinuria and hyperglycemia. Since it causes hyperglycemia , it should be used with caution in diabetics. It can cause tachycardia and arrhythmias, hence use it with caution if you are hypertensive or having any heart disease.

Regarding the rash at 2-3 spots, it can be a viral rash also which has been preceded by fever, cold and cough. But you should notify your doctor as the rash can be a side effect of Levomac also. In such a case, your doctor may change the antibiotic.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.