Is Rhizotomy or Gamma knife a better treatment for Trigeminal neuralgia?

ENT Specialist
For the treatment of trigeminal neuralgia which is the preferred or better course of treatment Resodimy or Gamma Knife>
Posted Sat, 14 Jul 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. It depends upon the severity and extent (area of distribution) of your symptoms.

2. Both Rhizotomy and Gamma Knife are minimally invasive techniques. You should avoid microvascular decompression.

3. Rhizotomy (radiofrequency/thermal or chemical) will get you immediate relief if your pain is severe.

4. Gamma Knife is better for long term relief.

5. Are you on any medication? Is this one sided? Is the neuralgia limited to one division of the Trigeminal Nerve?

6. I am assuming that your MRI workup is complete.

7. Percutaneous Balloon Compression is also a new technique.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.