Is Pyoderma gangrenosum an STD? Is it curable and contagious?

Can Pyoderma gangrenosum is STD disease? It is curable? My sister suffered from last 10 years, please prescribe medicine.
Posted Sun, 22 Jul 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Follow-up: Is Pyoderma gangrenosum an STD? Is it curable and contagious? 1 hour later
My additional question is : i) can its possible to transmit the disease to my 6 years old daughter or other members at household from my sister (patient). ii) can she lead married life in future? Please help doctor
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 3 hours later

Thank you for posting the query,

You have provided with good information regarding your sisters health and it is a very good description. I appreciate it.I went through all the reports also .

I feel there is still a element of doubt whether she actually is suffering from PG(pyoderma gangrenosum) or Stasis ulcer.I would appreciate if you can upload a picture of the lesions and send it to us.You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.You can also email the same to YYYY@YYYY with “ATTN: ” in the subject line.

PG is not a STD ,its actually a self limiting condition which starts as a small pimple like growth and gradually develops in to a ulcer.When it heals it leaves a ugly scar over the area.One can have multiple such ulcers mainly over lower leg.
It is at times associated with other systemic diseases like ulcerative colitis ,rheumatoid disease,crohn's disease or other systemic disease .

Various medicines which have been tried in this condition are as follows:
1) Topical steroid cream
2) Topical tacrolimus cream
3) Oral steroid tablet.
4) Oral sulfasalazine or sulphapyridine
4)Oral dapsone
5) Oral minocyclin
6) Oral cyclosporin

These medicines can only be prescribed by a dermatologist after proper consultation and diagnosis.Even at times skin grafting can be done.

To answer you other questions as far as transmission of the disease is concerned .No ,it cannot be transmitted by contact or touch or by other means .
Yes she can have a happily married life ,but only thing is that it may take long to heal,and that too it can heal with scar formation.Other systemic disease if present should also be taken care of.

Hope I've answered your query.

Should you have additional concern regarding the same ,I would be happy to address it.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr.Bharat chawda XXXXXXX specialist, Dermatology.