Is Psuedomonis sensitive to Ciprofloxacin?

Jun 2015

I am a 56 female paraplegic with an IDC. I have been sick for 3 days with a UTI. the specimen report was mixed growth. I have taken trimethroprim for 3 days & no improvement. I wentr to local hosp today & explained I have a history of psuedomonis & he prescribed me ciprofloxacin twice daily for 7 days, is psuedomonis sensitive to cipro?
Posted Fri, 31 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 2 hours later
Brief Answer: It is Sensitive, confirm by Culture & Sensitivity Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. Ciprofloxacin 500 mg taken twice a day has been considered as a first line medication for treatment of complicated Urinary Tract Infection. It's spectrum includes pathogens like Pseudomonas & has been successfully used for management of Pseudomonas induced UTI. However, few strains of Pseudomonas have been reported to have developed resistance to Ciprofloxacin. Keeping in mind the above mentioned fact, it will be better to get a Culture & Sensitivity testing of the urine done. It will be helpful to confirm if the Pseudomonas which is causing the UTI is sensitive to Cipro or not. If not, appropriate antibiotics can be started based on the Culture & Sensitivity reports. There is no need to worry, you will be fine. Till then, drink plenty of fluids, maintain proper hygiene & adequate nutrition status. Wishing you a good health. Take care.