Is Propranolol safe for anxiety treatment?

General Surgeon
I am wondering if I can take one or two doses (each 20 mg) of propanolol for a high stress athletic event today where my anxiety is through the roof,. My husband has the prescription for anxiety over public speaking. Is it ok to take one or two of these pills before my athletic match to try to calm my nerves and shaking? I was worried as I have not taken this med before but I am in perfect health with no health concerns. Thank you!
Posted Mon, 24 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: Propranolol can be safely used Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear Ms Propranolol is an non selective B blocker and can be safely used for anxiety disorders. You can safely use it in the absence of existing heart disease and there is no cause for concern. Apart from that I would suggest you to get sleep which is the best stress buster . Also ensure adequate consumption of water and electrolyte. All the best for the upcoming athlete event. Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS, MS, MCH Consultant Surgeon