Is Progesterone required after IUI?

I have just got my IUI done with natural cycle.. Didn't took ant pre-medication. my doctor has only asked me to take folic acid and vitamins. I had IUI before as well and also got pregnant. But had miscarriage after 2 months. In last cycle my also prescribed me progesterone vaginal medicine thrice a day. My question, is progesterone required after IUI?
Posted Thu, 20 Feb 2014 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes, progesterone helps maintain the pregnancy. Detailed Answer: Hello Mrs. XXXXXXX Thank you for posting your query. Yes, progesterone is required in your case, because you had an abortion already so it becomes important to maintain your pregnancy. You should take the medicine as advised by your doctor. Progesterone is a hormone which is normally produced by the ovaries, both in non pregnant women and in pregnant women. In pregnant women, the progestorne production increases greatly, this is due to the formation of corpus luteum, (The ruptured follicle which releases the egg for fertilization), and once the placenta forms that also produces progesterone, because progesterone is required for maintaining the pregnancy till term. Hope this answers your query, please feel free to get back to me if you have any doubts. Wishing you safe pregnancy. Kind regards.
Follow-up: Is Progesterone required after IUI? 1 hour later
I have just had IUI day before.. Pregnacy is not yet confirmed. Doctor has not prescribed progesterone as if now. Is that ok or should I ask him for it?
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 16 hours later
Brief Answer: You should start progesterone after implantation. Detailed Answer: Hello Mrs. XXXXXXX Thanks for writing back. It is not necessary to start progesterone right now, once pregnancy is confirmed, you can start it. You can ask your doctor for the same once pregnancy is confirmed. Hope this answers your query, please feel free to ask me if you have any doubts. Wishing you good health. Kind regards.