Ask a Urologist   »  

Is Preputioplasty safe treatment for phimosis?

I believe that I have a mild case of phimosis and have scheduled an appointment with a urologist next month. Having looked at various options to correct phimosis, I find myself favoring preputioplasty. I do not want to undergo circumcision and have heard that steroidal creams are hit or miss when used on adults. If you've performed preputioplasty before, how would you gauge your typical patient's satisfaction with the procedure? Were they pleased with both the function and aesthetics, or did they ultimately return for circumcision?
Posted Tue, 18 Feb 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Manuel C See IV 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Preputioplasty is a valid treatment option. Detailed Answer: good day and thank you for being with healthcare magic! For phimosis the standard of treatment is still circumcision although preputioplasty is a valid option. Preputioplasty has the advantage of having only one small incision and retaining the preputial skin and having the same cosmesis as an uncircumcised penis. Generally 1/3 of patients undergoing preputioplasty either got a second procedure (circumcision or another preputioplasty ) or wished they had circumcision. The reason for this is some still would have tightness when retracting the preputial skin. Also you would have to dilate the skin and retracting the skin to expose the glans for some time to gradually dilate the preputial skin after the procedure. So there is still work to be done after the preputioplasty and how often you dilate the skin would relate to success or failure of the procedure. I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications at: WWW.WWWW.WW I would gladly help you. Best wishes. Regards, Manuel C. See IV, M.D. DPBU FPUA