Is Polysporin safe to use for a perforation?

ENT Specialist
Question
how long should i let the perforation heal before i know if i need surgery or not.i am terified doctor.is it good to put polysporne on the perforation.if not what would you recomend.
Posted Mon, 20 Nov 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Septal perforation

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Once a septal perforation occurs, it can only be treated with surgery. Surgery is only required if there are any symptoms like a whistling sound or dryness in the nose or an external defirmity otherwise the perforation can be left as such. It is not at all fatal.
Polyspirne won't help to heal the perforation at all. It is just an antibiotic ointment.
My advice is if you have any symptoms out of perforation than take a notice of it otherwise just relax and leave it as such. Just keep in mind not to use any further irritants which can cause more damage.
If you have any further doubts, you are always welcome.
Thanks and regards

Follow-up: Is Polysporin safe to use for a perforation? 44 hours later
hi again doctor.curently my septal perforation is whistling and there is some drynes.how long should i let it heal before i know if it is permanent or not.and if i will definatly need surgery.

ou did not answer my question.i asked how do i know if the whistling and dryness are permenant.and when do i know if i absolutely need surgery.is there a chance that whistling and dryness will go away.

can you please answer as soon as possible,very very scared.also i heard that post operation can be extremly painfull is this true.also heard that healing time can take up to as long as one year is that true.will i be on morphine post operation and if so for how long.

just one more question.how long is the stay in the hospital normaly if there are no compilications.

Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Septal perforation

Detailed Answer:
Hi
If you are having whistling and dryness due to the perforation than it is definite that it needs to be operated.
The surgery is down under anaesthesia and post operatively also pain killers are prescribed. As per my experience there is no or minimal pain and you can be discharged on 3 to 5th day after surgery.
Healing takes up to 3 months as graft is placed but a frequent follow up with the doctor is required till the time it is completely healed.
I hope my advice proves helpful to you and I have answered all your queries.
Any further questions are always welcome.
Thanks and regards

Follow-up: Is Polysporin safe to use for a perforation? 17 minutes later
thank you so much i think you have answered every thing.you are great Dr Aggarwal.

Brief Answer:
Septal perforation

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I would be delighted to assist you in future too.
Thanks and regards