Is Plavix intake safe when suffering from plaque in carotid?

I have mild plaque in my carotid, My doctor has prescribed statins which have greatly improved my numbers but she also wants me to take Plavix. I have never smoked, i'm not overieight nor do I have diabetes blood pressure normal. I can't tolerate aspirin. Thank you
Posted Sun, 2 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Do as directed. Plavix needs to be taken Detailed Answer: Good day XXXX! Thank you for asking. I am Dr S Khan and i would like to help your concern for your medications prescribed by your doctor. XXXX Carotid artery plaque/ stenosis need a management and a constant touch with interventional cardiologists to stay trouble free and the medicines like plavix, aspirin and ticlopidine with a constant monitoring of bleeding profile is a standard procedure and should be followed. Plavix is a clopidogrel an antiplatelet drug a bit different from aspirin though aspirin needs to be taken in small doses too. Its good that you dont have diabetes or never smoked or have no weight loss issues. It makes the prognosis good. All these measures are to keep you safe and out of trouble. keep in touch with your endovascular surgeons and cardiologists for the better management and do as you are directed to. its good for your health and also discuss the options like stenting or endarterectomies with them but as i said it needs a complete thorough examination and clinical correlation and that your doctors can do very well. so stay in touch with them. Hope it helps Take care of yourself and have a nice day. Don't forget to close the discussion please Regards