Is Phlegm just a part of asthma?

Seems to always be full of phlegm, mostly in the mornings, some days are better than others. Is this just part of the asthma?
Posted Wed, 5 Feb 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Constant phlegm is primarily of sinuses' origin Detailed Answer: Hi there, Thanks for your query. Yes. Phlegm is part of asthma, but primarily of sinus origin. You are a known case of allergic asthma, which is usually associated with nasal allergy and consequent chronic sinus problem with collection of secretions in the sinuses. You therefore tend to always feel full of phlegm due to constant flow of sinus secretions into the back of the throat. Phlegm is maximum in the mornings because the flow of sinus secretions is facilitated in lying position. Secretions collect in the throat during sleep, and therefore you pass more phlegm in the morning. If I were your treating Physician, I would have added Azelastin nasal spray/drops to your prescription. Azelastin is a potent anti-allergic drug, which- from my vast clinical experience- is extremely effective in controlling nasal allergy, and thereby, significantly reducing formation of secretions in the sinuses. Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he will agree with me and will actively consider addition of Azelastin nasal spray to the prescription. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal