Is Ovral safe to take to avoid pregnancy after condom broke during sex?

hi, me and my gf had sex and the condom got burst in between. We came to know about the same after 10mins. Went to a doc and she suggested ovral g for 3 days. Please suggest if she can take ipill as well or ovral g will help us in curbing unwanted pregnancy regards, XXXXX
Posted Fri, 27 Dec 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: No requirement of taking iPill with Ovral-G Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. iPill should ideally be taken at the earliest after unprotected sex, but definitely within 72 hours. iPill contains a female hormone in high dose. On the other, Ovral-G contains two female hormones, including the one present in iPill. Ovral G is as effective as iPill. Hence, iPill should not be taken along with Ovral-G. Taking both together will lead to unduly high concentration of levonorgestrel (a constituent of both drugs) in the blood which may have an undesirable effect. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Dr. Rakesh Karanwal
Follow-up: Is Ovral safe to take to avoid pregnancy after condom broke during sex? 2 minutes later
thanks a lot doctor. It has not been more than 6 hours. So you suggest that the ovral g which she has taken already (within 1hour) will be good enough for controlling the pregnancy?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 47 minutes later
Brief Answer: Ovral-G is equally effective in preventing preg. Detailed Answer: Well XXXXXXX It is really advantageous taking the first dose of Ovral-G has been taken within one hour. Ovral-G is good enough to prevent pregnancy. Take care, Dr. Rakesh Karanwal