Is Ornidazole and Ofloxacin safe to take during pregnancy ?

Dear Doctor, I am into the 4th month of pregnancy and having a toothache at the moment. A Doctor has prescribed 2 antibiotics, 1) Ornidazole 500mg (ORNOF) and 2) Ofloxacin 200mg. Please let me know if it is safe to take these considering my condition. Many thanks (Mrs C Boteju)
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 24 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

Usually medications are to be avoided during pregnancy considering there effects on the baby.Both the drugs which you have been prescribed are antibiotics but they are to be strictly avoided in the first trimester.
Since now you are in the fourth month of pregnancy organogenesis(organ development of the baby) must have been completed by now and you are having toothache you can have the prescribed medications.
Kindly avoid any unnecessary medications unless absolute necessary.

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up query.

Wishing you a healthy baby!