Is Microgestin pill a safe brith control option?

Mar 2016

Hello. I have a question about birth control. I decided to start using the pill (Microgestin 1/20 FE). I took it on Sunday, during the first 24 hours of my period. I also was getting over a cold/ flu. I did have an uncomfortable reaction the next day (Monday) and decided to stop taking the pill. I went all day Monday and Tuesday without taking the pill. My period ended Wednesday morning. Wednesday evening my boyfriend and I had unprotected sex. I am worried about pregnancy although I know chances are slim as it is so early in my cycle. If I want to continue using the pill this month, is it safe to double up my dosage today? Take two today and then two tomorrow? I know Plan B is the better alternative for not getting pregnant, but is it still safe for me, at this point, to continue to use the Microgestin? Thank you very much.
Posted Sat, 1 Mar 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 38 minutes later
Brief Answer: NO CHANCE OF PREGNANCY. FOLLOW ADVICES. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us. Above clinical features may be due to side effect of the Microgestin pill and it will overcome with the time following body adjusted with hormone. Next thing, you did unprotected sex in SAFE PERIOD (just after period over) and you have NO chance of pregnancy if your previous cycle was regular. In this case, you DON'T NEED any emergency pill like Plan B and it is better to take double dose of the Microgestin pill to get effective result. After that, you would continue the rest pills regularly on scheduled time and use some back up method (like Condom) in this month to get highest protection. Hope, it helps for your information. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query. Wish your good health and take care yourself. Regards, Dr Soumen For future query, you can directly approach me through WWW.WWWW.WW