Is Microflox eye drops and lacrimal massage correct treatment for child having blocked tear duct and mucus discharge?

My 5 months old daughter is suffering from blocked tear duct due to which her eyes discharge mucous several times a day. I consulted an eye specialist earlier when she was 2 months old and she suggested Microflox eye drops (ciprofloxacin) 4-5 times a day and also massage with the tip of smallest finger in semi circle direction from eye to nose. Mucus discharge came down to 10% levels but then we became complacent about exercise. For last few days the mucus discharge have increased again and now it's more difficult to keep her stable and calm during exercise. Is it the only right treatment or we can give her any alternative treatment. Is there any powerful eye drop to clear her tear ducts?
Posted Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 26 minutes later
Brief Answer: She is having congenital obstruction of tear ducts Detailed Answer: Hello Welcome to health care magic It seems from the history you have provided that your daughter who is 5 months old now is on treatment for blocked tear duct for which she is on treatment by microflox eye drops and lacrimal massaging. This is called as congenital dacryocystitis or congenital nasolacrimal duct obstruction. No need to worry as this is a common problem seen in new borns and children below 6 months of age, in fact 60% of new borns will have this problem and more than 90% will undergo spontaneous cure even without treatment by the time they reach 6 months of age. Treatment is required when you notice mucoid discharge. The treatment options are Lacrimal massage with antibiotics till the child reaches 4 to 5 months of age. If it won't respond by 5 months of age lacrimal syringing is performed once in a month. Next step is probing of lacrimal sac by 10 to 12 months of age. Since your daughter is now 5 months she is on correct treatment but you need to do massaging properly at least 4 times a day with each time applying 10 strokes. Since you are using microflox eye drops and there is still mucoid discharge it is better to change it to moxiflox or tobramycin. If the condition is not responding for proper massaging and change of antibiotics then she may need lacrimal syringing as I have mentioned above. For this do consult eye specialist. Hope I have answered your query. With regards Dr Dadapeer K Ophthalmologist