Is Medullary carcinoma of the colon heriditary?

Oncologist, Surgical
Hello - my mother was diagnosed with Medullary carcinoma of the colon. Her doctor said it wasn't hereditary, but I am reading online that it is often MSi-H, which means it could be, correct? She was 66 when was diagnosed. I am wondering if I need to be tested?
Posted Sat, 4 Jan 2014 in Colon Cancer
Answered by Dr. K. Harish 8 days later
Brief Answer: you could get tested Detailed Answer: Medullary carcinoma of colon is a rare variety (less than 1%). The outcome is generally better than other varieties. It could be part of hereditary non polyposis colon cancer with microstaellite instability. There would be some element of heredity in colon cancers. You need not be over anxious. But you can get tested by various means. common screening test includes stool for occult blood. You could also get a colonoscopy done. You doctor would be best to advice you in this regard.