Is Meckerel intake good for a child?

Hi, my son is 2yrs 2 months old. we regularly give him seer fish approximately 200 gms each week. i heard from my relative that it is better to avoid seer fish, since it has high mercury content. do we need to restrict his seer fish intake? do you suggest any other alternative fish, as he is likes to eat fish
Posted Sun, 2 Mar 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Yes seers have a high level of mercury Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. Seer fish also popularly known as Meckerel have a high mercury level and should not be taken regularly. Its ok if you have fed your son this fish uptil now but now on you can switch to other options. Infact a fish is said to be good if it has good amount of omega 3 fatty acids and its mercury contaminant level is below 216PPB mercury. Following are certain healthy fish options which yiu may try according to your availability 1. Salmon 2. Sardine 3. Trout 4. Shrimp 5. Oyster 6. Calamari Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.