Is MTPROST kit effective for abortion? What other medicines are effective for abortion?

Question
I HAD MY LAST PERIODS ON 6TH FEBRUARY AND HAD SEX ON 15TH FEB AND AFTER THAT I DIDN'T HAD PERIODS TILL DATE.I THINK I AM PREGNANT .SO CAN I USE MTPROST KIT BY CIPLA FOR ABORTION.?WHAT OTHER MEDICINES ARE AVAILABLE SO THAT I CAN ABORT ?IS MTPROST KIT 100% SURE FOR ABORTION?
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2013 in Abortion and Stillbirth

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 24 minutes later

To use medicines for abortion, it is advisable to get a physical exam by a qualified doctor first, along with a trans-vaginal sonogram for the confirmation of an intrauterine pregnancy and also the period of gestation. There are several forms available, but the treatment best suitable for you would be decided by your attending doctor.

Self-medication is not at all advisable, as it can lead either to an incomplete abortion with severe consequences like heavy bleeding and infection with subsequent infertility problems, or failed abortion in the presence of an ectopic pregnancy, which in itself is a complication.

Therefore, I would advice you to get your pregnancy status confirmed by a gynecologist and proceed further. A post-abortal check up is necessary to check for completion of the process.

MTPROST kit is very widely used with good efficacy of about 98%. No medication is 100% efficient. The efficiency depends on the individual response, period of gestation, mode of administration and the dosage. A repeat dosage may be needed sometimes. Other treatments available are Methotrexate and Misoprostol and Misoprostol alone.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to contact if you need further clarifications. I will be ready to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.

Follow-up: Is MTPROST kit effective for abortion? What other medicines are effective for abortion? 6 hours later
i have purchased unwanted kit.it contains 1 mifepristone tablet and 4 misoprostol tablets.it is written in that mifepristone is to be taken oraly but 1 am not able to understand that how to consume misoprostol tablets. i.e whether to take it orally or vaginally. and within how much time it is to be consumed after consuming mifepristone.

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 2 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Misoprostol tablets can be taken both orally as well as vaginally. If taken orally, the buccal route is preferred and the drug should be kept for 20-30 minutes until it is fully dissolved. The vaginal route is the better choice for initial administration. Repeat doses of the drug can be taken orally or by the vaginal route. The drug is administered by a gynecologist 1-3 days after taking Mifepristone.

Hope I have made it clear. Please get back if you have any further queries. I will be ready to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.

Follow-up: Is MTPROST kit effective for abortion? What other medicines are effective for abortion? 26 minutes later
all 4 tablets are to be taken at once or couple at a time?can i take 2 tablets of misoprostol in vagina and remaining two orally.?and what should be the time difference between those tblets?what are th symtoms that abortion has been done and the pills have worked?

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 10 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

It would be better if all the four tablets are taken in one route. They are taken in a single dose. If bleeding is not seen 4 hours after taking the tablets, another dose of 2 tablets may be needed. Pain is followed by bleeding with passage of clots and bits if pregnancy is more than 45 days and if under 45 days it may mimic menstrual bleeding. The whole process should be done under the guidance of a specialist and confirmation of the abortion is done two weeks later.

Please remember, self-medication carries with it the risk of incomplete abortion, failed abortion and risk of a missed ectopic pregnancy. There is a chance that future fertility could be impaired if infection develops.

Hope I have answered all your queries. If there are no further questions, you may close this discussion.

Wish you good health.

regards,
Shanti.V.