Is Leukorrhea possible in a 5 year old and what is the treatment?

My 5 year kid suffering from Leukorrhea. can it possible for 5 yrs kid? why it has been happpened? could you pls advise me on how to cure? any impact in future?
Posted Wed, 29 Jan 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Yes. It may be normal or infection or foreign body Detailed Answer: Hello, I have gone through your query and understand your concern. Yes. It is possible to have white discharge in this age. There are two possible causes 1. It can be Normal. It is normal for girls of all ages to have some vaginal discharge. The normal vaginal discharge is made of cells and mucus that are shed from the walls of the vagina. It is usually clear, white, or a little yellowish; and it does not have a bad odor. 2. Possibility of vaginal yeast infection. Girl child are susceptible to vaginal infections from the bacteria in stool. This is especially common around the time that they're newly toilet-trained when their hygiene is not very good. They can get vaginal infections from yeast, especially if they've been taking antibiotics for a different infection 3. Foreign body in vagina Sometimes a discharge can be caused by a small object that your child has inserted in her vagina. Thus she need further examination to rule out any foreign body in vagina. She also need further investigation of the discharge like culture and staining to rule out any vaginal yeast infection. If it is proved to be a infection, she need anti fungal drugs. If it is due to foreign body followed by infection, then antibiotics and foreign body removal is vital. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing for her good health.