Is Lactogen good for infants?

is lactogen good for infant baby as the baby is 1 month old and he has to gain weight and it should be useful for his health
Posted Thu, 13 Sep 2012 in Growth and Development in Children
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 15 minutes later

First of all congratulations to the proud parents of baby boy.

Ideally mother’s milk is best for infant up to 6 months of age. The baby should be exclusively breast feed till 6 months.

No formula milk should be given, even if the baby is weak. Unless your doctor suggests some, please do not give anything on your own.

Please advice mother to take good diet, plenty of liquids and take proper care of her so that milk supply remains good and nothing else is required.

I hope this helps.

Wishing you all a good time of parenting.

Follow-up: Is Lactogen good for infants? 4 hours later
mother is not having sufficient milk to give to baby, on the doctor advice she started formula milk,that's why i asked that question,
now tel me what are the other ways to improve weight gain of baby and his health
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 9 hours later

Good to hear from you again.

I am sorry, but I do not agree to this. Please understand basic physiology. More the mother feeds the baby, more milk is formed. Every time she feeds the baby, milk is formed for next time. Only thing required is constant effort.

Unless mother is having some illness, normally every mother is capable of producing sufficient milk to feed the baby. Unfortunately we doctors sometimes do not do proper effort and devote time to counsel patient and relatives about the need and importance of regular breast feeding for both mother and baby. Again mothers are at times very fussy about it and do not want do extra effort.

Any way, there are age specific formulas available in market. They are fortified with iron and other nutrients. Still your doctor will advise some multivitamin drops as the deficiency or need he thinks. You can surely give the formula as advised for your doctor.

At this young age you can not give any thing other formula milk to the baby. Give it as per need.

Normally the babies gain about 300-400gms/month.You can keep track like this.

As he grows you can add other things like milk, juices etc. to his diet.

Do not worry, he will have normal growth.