Is LH and testosterone present in small quantities in boys with delayed puberty?

hello Doctor,

Topic: peadeatric endocronology

BACKGROUND: I would like to ask if LH and testosterone is present, albeit in small quantities, in delayed puberty boys at chronological age of 14.5 years old. This is the age i commenced my 3month course of low dose oxandrolone treatment to increase height. This initially failed. after a 2month break i was given another 3month course by which time i was 15 years old. By 15 1/4 my testicles dropped and i grew a total of 9 cm. MY QUESTION: Is it possible to comment if LH and Testosteorne was being produced , albeit in small quantities due to CDGP at beginning of first oxandrolone course aged 14.5 OR with my background, is it possible that gonadotropins and testosterone were completely non-existent at 14.5 Please help me, Thanks in advance
Posted Tue, 18 Sep 2012 in Growth and Development in Children
Answered by Dr. Taher Kagalwala 3 hours later
Dear r,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX
It seems that you took the steroids to gain height and also because of, delayed puberty.
At the time your steroids treatment was begun, I am sure your blood levels of gonadotropins must have XXXXXXX done, as also your pubertal levels. Could you please share those reports with me ? It will enable me to confirm if the decision to use the steroids was correct or not. The past reports would also help to guide your treat ment on a sound footing.

With best wishes,

Dr. Taher
Follow-up: Is LH and testosterone present in small quantities in boys with delayed puberty? 10 hours later
Hello Dr. Taher,

Yes we decided to increase height as my growth spurt was 'maybe have to wait a year for it' i remember doctor saying. My records are difficult to obtain as i am based in a different country form where i received the steroid treatment

But actually i grew 9cm by age 15 1/4 after starting oxandrolone at exactly 15.0. in this period i began experiencing fast sexual maturation possibley i was XXXXXXX 3 or 4, my testes were hanging evry low and i could ejaculate and began getting hairy legs and pubic hair.
Oxandorlone is weak steroid and doesnt cause these changes so i belive i was experiencing natural puberty but mistakenly taking oxandrolone during this time as well. MY question: During XXXXXXX stage 3, how long before this stage does the body produce gonadotropins? I read it was 2 years...does this apply to delayed puberty individuals also?? In other words, do they experience the same sequence of events but just later because the first event (onset of puberty) happened later? Your advice would be appreciated DR Taher
Answered by Dr. Taher Kagalwala 2 hours later
Dear R

You've hit the nail on the head . I am quite sure that you had what is called delayed puberty with delayed but normal progression of all associated events, including the growth spurt that occurs with it. I am glad that you are now a fully functional adult. Yes, the hormonal surge pecedes SMR 3 by 2 years or so ... And so you did not need oxandrolone at all.
Follow-up: Is LH and testosterone present in small quantities in boys with delayed puberty? 8 hours later
Thank you for your swift reply and kind words Dr Taher.

I just have one final query. You mentioned 'hormonal surge' approx 2 years before SMR 3.....would it still be considered within normal pattern to have this surge 6 months before attainment of SMR 3? Or is this physiologically not possible and the '2 year period' is experienced by every healthy boy cdgp or otherwise? Thanks in advance Dr Taher
Answered by Dr. Taher Kagalwala 42 minutes later
Dear friend,

I think all body systems work within a range of timings and there is no hard and fast rule about this. I am actually keen to know why you are so worried about this now that you are normal in every way. I hope you are not planning to XXXXXXX the doctor who put you on oxandrolone ;-)

Yes, the actual timings of the surge of hormones can be variable, but generally, it begins as small surges at night of LH and FSH almost every 1-2 hours, and then, as puberty advances, the surges occur throughout the day and night; by the time the person has completed puberty, there is no difference between the day-time and night-time surges of the two pituitary hormones. Puberty is a complex process with involvement of many other structures and hormones, such as the hypothalamus, (LH releasing hormone and FSH releasing hormone come from there) the adrenal glands, and so on. It is impossible to even predict whether a certain level in a certain sample from a certain individual is definitely normal or abnormal. Many a times, we need to repeat tests if the earlier results are not accurate or do not match our clinical suspicions.

My final word: just relax and cool off. Don't be so worried. That oxandrolone did help your body muscles, didn't they?

Take care, and have a great weekend (or whatever is left of it!)

- Dr. Taher

Follow-up: Is LH and testosterone present in small quantities in boys with delayed puberty? 12 hours later
My Dear Friend Dr Taher, Thank you for your advice over this matter, you have reassured me greatly. I didnt explain it clearly but my only last question is as follows:

Can SMR 3 be acheived just 6 months of hormonal surge or is it always around 2 years beforehand?

Also, is it possible to disable this conversation being published on internet , as i'd like to stay confidential.

Kind Regards,
Answered by Dr. Taher Kagalwala 13 minutes later
Dear R,

The progression of hormone to action cannot be easily quantified . I am sorry but although my instinct says that these things happen at a physiological pace, I cannot say whether this - that is your question, has a solid, dependable answer. I searched my books. Even my 2 volume text book of Pediatric Endocrinology has no clear answer on this.

Thanks. Please do rate and review my answer if you have no further queries.

Be blessed.

Dr. Taher.