Is INH treatment safe for latent TB infection?

Dear Dr. Grief: I am a healthy 71 year old woman and on a recent check up with my new doctor I tested positive for a latent TB infection (probably from TB exposure when I lived in Germany as a child). All other tests were normal, including a chest x-ray. My doctor recommended I take the INH treatment for 6-9 months (or INH/RPT treatment for 3 months) but I am concerned about the long list of possible side effects and the fact that taking too many anti-biotics can make you anti-biotic resistant. I have blood Factor 5 Leiden (1 of 2) and I'm taking Warfrin to prevent more blood clots. I'm very concerned about the "bleeding" side effects and how the medications will interact. Do you believe that it is safer for me to take these anti-biotic treatments than not to take them, and if so, which one?
Posted Mon, 24 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kavita Paul 1 hour later
Brief Answer: INH side effects are not very common Detailed Answer: Hi, I appreciate your concern. Your physician is right in prescribing you INH treatment for Latent Tuberculosis. INH as such does not commonly lead to side effects. But since you are on warfarin , there is interaction common between warfarin and INH. INH increase level and effect of warfarin by affecting its metabolism. So you need close monitoring and dose modification of warfarin. Another common side effect of INH is peripheral neuropathy and elevation of Liver Function Tests. Peripheral Neuropathy can be treated easily with pyridoxine. You need baseline LFT examination before starting treatment. Hope it helps. Dr. Kavita Paul