Is HPV virus causing changes in my cervix?

Hi there. I had a cone biopsy to my cervix done 5 years ago as I was diagnosed with CIN 3. The results said that there weren't cancerous cells. My next three smear test were fine and than the fourth one showed some borderline changes. However, the next one was normal again and than the next one was borderline again. I was going to have colposcopy but I got pregnant with my second child. I am now due to go for another test and Iam dreading it. My changes were caused by the HPV virus. Are the changes to my cervix going to ever stop? Do they mean cancer? Thanks!
Posted Wed, 22 Jan 2014 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 53 minutes later
Brief Answer: This is not cancer in itself! Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for trusting us with your health query. I am so sorry to hear about these cervical changes that have been reported time and again. Pap smears are generally done to look for abnormal cells. These cells in themselves do not represent cancer. However, they may progress over time to become cancer cells. All the above findings have just shown that you have abnormal cells that may in the long run progress to cancer but they do not represent cancer. It generally takes about 5-10years for these abnormal cells to progress and become cancerous if at all. With continued monitoring, there is no need to get worried. At worse, if there is progression towards cancer, you shall be offered early treatment that guarantees a 100% cure rate. So long as you doctors don't start discussing these options, be rest assured that there is no reason to be too concerned about cancers. In some persons, the changes stop once and for all. In others, it ay not be the case. Only continued testing can guide towards this conclusion and not up front. HPV is the most common virus found in genital warts and cervical cell changes. It is no surprise that you have reported this also. I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thanks for using our services and please feel free to ask for clarifications if need be. Dr. Ditah, MD.