Is HIV transmission possible through breast milk?

HIV AIDS Specialist
Sir, I had went to prostitute , I never had penetrative sex in my life . But when I sucked her breast .Breast milk went inside mouth like 2 drops . I am worried that I will get STD or HIV ..It happened 25 days ago . Could you please give me your suggestion
Posted Fri, 7 Feb 2014 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Negligible risk for HIV/STD. Detailed Answer: Hi, XXXX, Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for posting your query. There is nothing to worry much. STD (syphilis)/HIV are very rare to pass through breast milk. Repeated sucking of breast in case of a feeding child may be a problem. That too is not absolute one. Only 30-40% are likely to get this infections through breast milk from an infected person. The commercial sex worker you met would be likely to free from HIV/Syphilis. If at all we assume she is having infection only when the viral load in case of HIV and bacteremia in case Syphilis she can transmit the infection. So Your risk for Syphilis/ HIV is negligible with breast sucking once with an lady of unkown sero- status. Dr S.Murugan
Follow-up: Is HIV transmission possible through breast milk? 20 hours later
Thanks doctor for your answer .There are other STD's like Genital warts, gonoreha etc .what about those STD's .Will that get transmitted
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: Other STDs have no risk with breast secretion. Detailed Answer: HI, Welcome back. Breast milk or secretions has no impact on other STDs like Gonorrhea, Warts, Herpes, Chlamydia etc.. That is why I had not mentioned those STDs. Nothing to worry. You are still likely to be very safe. If you have more doubts feel free to ask. Dr S.Murugan