Is HIV transmission possible after getting a tattoo done?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Question
Dr in Chennai I put tattoo on my hands but I dint saw whether he changed the needle r not so after 15 days I went and tested it came negetive but still I am worried
Posted Sun, 2 Mar 2014 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Praveen G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: HIV Testing Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic. A risk of HIV transmission does exist if the needle contaminated with blood is used between clients. Theoretically it is possible, but the chances are very less because HIV positive blood should come out of someone's body and go directly inside your body. HIV virus is very sensitive to oxygen, when it comes out of the body it can survive for few seconds. But with HIV do not want to take risk, you need to undergo HIV testing. As you have tested for HIV after 15 days of exposure and it came as negative, this means that you are either not been exposed to HIV infection or you may be in window period (wait 2 to 8 weeks from the time of possible exposure). Body takes two to 8 weeks to produce antibodies against HIV, but in some cases it can take up to maximum of six months. So I suggest you to undergo p 24 antigen test which is useful in the immediate short term i.e. 2-4 weeks after infection and HIV 1/2 test after 90 days of possible exposure. Hope all your doubts regarding HIV transmission following Tattooing and confirmation is cleared. Feel free to post the query if you any doubts. Thank You.

Follow-up: Is HIV transmission possible after getting a tattoo done? 2 hours later
Thanks for ur reply Dr I am very relaxed now and Dr I have done both hiv 1 and 2 which u said me to do which came out has negative

Answered by Dr. Praveen G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: HIV testing following Tattooing. Detailed Answer: Hello, It is my pleasure to see your query, As you have mentioned that you have tested for HIV 1/2 test and it has come has negative but you have to test for HIV 1/2 after 3 months following your possible exposure. This will relive all your anxiety associated with HIV following tattooing. If you have any doubt I will be honored to answer your query. Thank you.

Follow-up: Is HIV transmission possible after getting a tattoo done? 10 hours later
Thank u Dr and if i test at 3 months then after i need not worry know Dr

Answered by Dr. Praveen G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: HIV testing following Tattooing. Detailed Answer: Hello, If your HIV 1/2 test comes negative after completion of 3 months following possible exposure it confirms that you are not having HIV infection. I hope your results will be negative after 3 months. Still if you have any doubts you can post me a query. Thank you