Is HIV transmission from unprotected receptive oral sex possible?

Im a male, 27. A few days ago, I met a guy who shaved my buttocks with a clean electric shaver and then proceeded to rim me a few minutes later. I don't believe there were any noticeable cuts in or around my butt from the shave. He also shaved my pubes and sucked on my penis for no more than a 90 seconds. Again, I didn't see any noticeable cuts except a very small XXXXXXX past the base of my penis. I did not see any blood or sores in his mouth but I do not know his hiv status for sure (he said he was std- and hiv-). Am I at risk for hiv transmission or am I just being paranoid?
Posted Mon, 6 Jan 2014 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 2 days later
Brief Answer: Risk is there, but small given circumstances Detailed Answer: Dear XXXX, Thanks for the query. Given the fact that the encounter was essentially with an unfamiliar individual, and there was unprotected receptive oral sex, there is risk for HIV transmission; now, that is all relative, since it would be statistically (practically impossible to give a number) lower than with other circumstances, such as receptive anal intercourse. The best thing to do would be to obtain a baseline HIV serology now; and repeat it in 6 months, to ensure there is no seroconversion. Again, the odds are slim, but not inexistent. Hope this is helpful, wish you the best, Dr Brenes-Salazar MD Mayo Clinic MN