Is HCG injection useful in preventing miscarriage?

Mar 2013
is HCG injection help to avoid missed abortion?How to take Hucog HP 5000 10 injection?mostly I want the Indian gayne.and I am asking the preocess that how to take that injection in first 3 month of pregnancy?where to take this injection?
Posted Mon, 1 Apr 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 30 minutes later

In early pregnancy, there are two hormones that tend to increase in the body following implantation, that is after the fertilised egg gets embedded in the uterus -- progesterone and human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG). Levels of both hormones tend to rise in women with viable pregnancies but fall in women with an impending miscarriage. And in the past few decades, it's become common that doctors prescribe progesterone supplements to women having recurrent miscarriages, with the idea being that underproduction of progesterone might be a cause of miscarriage.

Human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) therapy during early gestation may be useful in preventing miscarriage since endogenous hCG is known to play a critical role in the establishment of pregnancy. A systematic review of four trials involving 180 women found hCG therapy was associated with a significantly reduced risk of miscarriage, particularly in women with oligomenorrhea. The hormone hCG plays a key role in helping a pregnancy get established, and it is theoretically possible that reduced hCG production could play a causal role in miscarriages.

Missed abortion refers to the clinical situation in which an intrauterine pregnancy is present but no longer growing normally. It might mean that the fetus never developed in the pregnancy sac, or the fetus was present but a heartbeat never came up, or the pregnancy did not continue even after a heartbeat was detected, that is the fetal heart stopped beating.

Causes of missed abortion generally are the same as those causing spontaneous abortion or early pregnancy failure. Causes include anembryonic gestation (blighted ovum), fetal chromosomal abnormalities, maternal disease, embryonic Abnormalities, placental abnormalities or uterine abnormalities.

Ultrasound criteria that strongly suggest missed abortion are sac diameter greater than 16 mm without cardiac activity or fetal pole greater than 4 mm without cardiac activity.

Once missed abortion has been diagnosed, no drug can treat it.
However, if your doctor suspects an impending abortion, based on clinical findings and ultrasound, HCG injections are given to improve your chances of continuing the pregnancy

The injections are given intramuscularly twice a week or every alternate day, until viability is confirmed.

Take care, and feel free to discuss further.
All the best with your pregnancy.
Follow-up: Is HCG injection useful in preventing miscarriage? 13 minutes later
doctor I asked about the hucog hp 5000 10 injetion?I had first missed abortion.Now I am agin suggest that injection.what is oil based injection in that HUCOG hp 5000?They told me take that injection 2 times in a week meanas like thursday,monday?
Then which is the injection that will take to thursday?which is the injection that will take to monday?Can I strat from oil based injection?can i take thhis injection from BAMS doctor?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Based on your previous history, hcg is being given to you this time.
how many injections have you been prescribed ?
If it's only HUCOG, then you have to take the injection intramuscularly on Monday and Thursday.
you can take it from a BAMS doctor as long as he is qualified to give injections properly.
HUCOG HP 5000 is a single injection and the same injection has to be taken on monday as well as Thursday.
I fail to understand your confusion, because you seem to convey that two kinds of injections have been prescribed.
Follow-up: Is HCG injection useful in preventing miscarriage? 20 minutes later
Doctor, prescribed me HUCOG HP 5000 10.ok.But my confusion is that in that there is one oil based injection in that na?then from tomorrow I will start the injection.then first will i take HUCOG HP 5000 or oilbased injection of that packet.
this is the confusion.maybe these injections are altrnate na?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 10 minutes later
The other injections are given to mix as diluent with main drug
So there will be one diluent injection for each vial containing HCG in powder form.
You can start any injection.
They are all same
Follow-up: Is HCG injection useful in preventing miscarriage? 1 hour later
sorry but I did not understand .which is the injection I take thursday and monday?
HUCOG is a powder in a vial and the other injection is to be mixed with it while injecting.
I hope that's clear.
You have to take two injections everytime, one is the HUCOG powder form and the other is the solution to mix it with.