Ask a Urologist   »  

Is Frenuloplasty or Circumcision better for foreskin over glans penis?

Jul 2016

Three weeks back when I was having intercourse I felt pain near frenulum and on the next attempt I saw small blood. I consulted GP near my place and he gave me CLOSTAR-GM ointment. I applied it for three weeks, though there is no blood or pain, when I pull the foreskin back there is slight discomfort. So I consulted a urologist and he said that my frenulum joint is at the top of penis, instead of bottom. And he suggested Frenuloplasty or Circumcise. Now I am confused to select one of these, which is safer and what are the side effects of each process and any other details that would allow me to take right decision? Also how can this effect my health in future. I would be thankful to anyone who can provide complete details about this. Thank you.
Posted Sun, 2 Feb 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Frenuloplasty is better option. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you sustained injury to frenulum which is abnormally long and had difficulty in retracting foreskin completely over glans penis. Your Urologist has advised to undergo either Frenuloplasty or Circumcision Frenuloplasty is a very simple procedure and involves only excision of long frenulum .Advantages of frenuloplasty are 1)It is very short procedure done under local anaesthesia which takes not more than 5 -10 minutes and you can resume your sexual activities within 5 days. 2)The second important advantage is that foreskin is not excised which helps in maintaining moisture and protection to glans 3) Intact foreskin helps in preserving the nerve endings responsible for sexual pleasure during intercourse., In circumcision entire foreskin is excised resulting into glans being exposed to atmosphere which becomes dry and over a period of time gets desensitised and hence delays sexual satisfaction during intercourse. 2) Circumcision surgery takes long time and you can not have sexual intercourse till wound heals up completely which may take 3 weeks. Since you have normal foreskin and do not have Phimosis I would advise you to choose option of Frenuloplasty. Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.
Follow-up: Is Frenuloplasty or Circumcision better for foreskin over glans penis? 9 hours later
Thank you so much for the detailed explanation. Also are there any known side effects of Frenuloplasty.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: No there are no side effects at all. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for follow up. Please go ahead and get freniloplsty done . Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.