Is Essential Thrombo Cythemia caused by Chronic Leukemia?

Is Essential Thrombo Cythemia very often caused by Chronic Leukemia? My Doctor wants me to have a bone marrow test to check for Leukemia, even though all blood tests showed nothing. Would you think this test is necessary, or is my Dr maybe being too thourough? (I'm very worried about having a bone marrow test.) Thanks! XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 23 Feb 2014 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Please refer below Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for your query. Essential thrombocythemia is a disorder in bone marrow proliferative disorder group. By itself it is not leukemia. But Chronic myeloid leukemia, another disease in that group, may also be associated with increased platelets. Usually this can be ruled out on peripheral blood but sometimes bone marrow is required. May be your doc has some doubts on the blood smear, that is why he is insisting on the marrow. Bone marrow is a simple procedure and can be done without pain by local anesthesia, so not to worry. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.
Follow-up: Is Essential Thrombo Cythemia caused by Chronic Leukemia? 2 days later
Thank you so much for your response! I appreciate it. I do have 3 other questions......1. My Doctor said that she wants me to take some stronger medication for my ET, now that I turned 60. She said the low dose aspirin I take nightly isn't enough any more after age 60. Do you agree with this? What med might you suggest for a patient in my position, if you agree with her statement? 2. My platelets were over a million four years ago after my total abdominal hysterectomy surgery. Last week they were at 526,000. Every time I've had my blood tested in the past 4 years the count has gone down some. Is this normal with ET? Could it eventually go down to a "normal" level? Do you think that I need to be starting to take whatever med my doctor is going to give me? 3. I am having a total hip replacement surgery on March 4th. Am I at any greater risk due to the ET? Thanks very much for any answers you can give me! :) XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 58 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please refer below Detailed Answer: Thanks for followup. My answers... 1. Age >60 makes it higher risk for thrombosis (blood clot) and hence only aspirin may not be enough. We can use hydroxyurea with aspirin. 2. Platelets may vary with time and treatment, and may become normal after starting hydroxyurea. But that does not mean the disease has been cured. 3. yes, ET is a risk factor for thrombosis and hence your risk for thrombosis is higher after the hip surgery. regards