Is Doxycycline effective for strep thorat treatment?
User rating for this question
will doxycycline work for strep thoraat or is it resistant like other tetracyclines. Im asking because sometimes its difficult getting to a doctor in the weekends and I have some at my house. Just in case.
Posted Tue, 4 Mar 2014 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Praveen G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Treatment for streptococcal throat infection Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic. Strep throat is also called streptococcal pharyngitis, is an infection caused by group A beta-hemolytic streptococcus bacteria. Doxycycline is a tetracycline-class antimicrobial medication. It can be used in the treatment of upper respiratory infections caused by Streptococcus. But they are not the first line drugs. Penicillin group of antibiotics like Benzathine penicillin, Amoxicillin or Amoxicillin/Clavulanate Potassium combination are the drugs of choice to treat Strep throat infection. Cephalosporins are used for for relapse and recurrent infections. So, if possible better you go for penicillin group of drugs. You can take doxycycline for the strep throat but better to consult your doctor and go for first line of drugs for satisfying results. If any further queries, feel free to post. Thank you.
People also viewed
- Alcohol causes bowel movement
- What if a person is salmonella typhi h positive
- Body changes with alcohol use
- Urethra caruncles and drinking alcohol
- Alcohol and joint cartilage
- Crossing legs causes headache
- Strep pneumonia treatment antibiotic
- Is doxycycline effective for strep thorat treatment
- Can alcohol cause goiter
- Strep throat treatment
- Strep constellatus treatment
- Does head lice cause typhoid fever
- Yeast centromeric plasmid
- Strep treatment with penicillin allergy
- Yeast infection bad breath