Is Doxycycline effective for strep thorat treatment?
User rating for this question
will doxycycline work for strep thoraat or is it resistant like other tetracyclines. Im asking because sometimes its difficult getting to a doctor in the weekends and I have some at my house. Just in case.
Posted Tue, 4 Mar 2014 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Praveen G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Treatment for streptococcal throat infection Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic. Strep throat is also called streptococcal pharyngitis, is an infection caused by group A beta-hemolytic streptococcus bacteria. Doxycycline is a tetracycline-class antimicrobial medication. It can be used in the treatment of upper respiratory infections caused by Streptococcus. But they are not the first line drugs. Penicillin group of antibiotics like Benzathine penicillin, Amoxicillin or Amoxicillin/Clavulanate Potassium combination are the drugs of choice to treat Strep throat infection. Cephalosporins are used for for relapse and recurrent infections. So, if possible better you go for penicillin group of drugs. You can take doxycycline for the strep throat but better to consult your doctor and go for first line of drugs for satisfying results. If any further queries, feel free to post. Thank you.
People also viewed
- Toddler diagnosed with heart murmur
- Bacterial infection cbc results
- Bacterial infection from feces
- Tiffa scan during pregnancy cause any side effects
- Toenails half yellow
- Strep pneumonia treatment antibiotic
- Baby belly button infection
- Avian tuberculosis in humans
- Is doxycycline effective for strep thorat treatment
- Apple cider vinegar for bacterial infection
- Strep throat treatment
- Strep constellatus treatment
- Strep treatment with penicillin allergy
- Tasteless tongue problem
- Thread lift for stomach