Is DHEA intake safe for good testosterone level?

I am 61 yrs. old and have been taking DHEA for men for over two years now. Is this safe? I take it to insure my testosterone level stays good. I have a good libido (sex drive) and don't have a problem getting an erection. I guess I just want to know that I have a good testosterone level.
Posted Tue, 18 Feb 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Prasad 47 minutes later
Brief Answer: I wouldn't recommend you to continue DHEA... Detailed Answer: Hi, It is well known fact that testosterone level decline with age. However many men after the age of 50 are able to have good sexual life even with declining testosterone. Therefore most often we doctors are unable to understand if low testosterone is the only cause of low libido and erection problems. Moreover you have good libido and sexual life. I do not find any reasons to doubt a low testosterone level at this point of time. May be the 2 year use of DHEA may have supplemented testosterone or may be the level was naturally not very low. You may be able to figure this out by testing testosterone level. Your endocrinologist will know about this test. At this juncture, I wouldn't advice you to continue using DHEA for long term. Given its usefulness, it has its risks on prostate. Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards