Is Coriminic Tablet advisable for allergic sneezing?

ENT Specialist
I had allergic rhinitis ( sneezes that wet hankerchief after hankerchief ) and nose becoming a source of water God knowing from where it came from) last episode was some 4 yrs back and i could buy Actifed in market,now Actifed is not available in medical shops. From a dispensary counter I got Coriminic Tablets that has Phenyephrine XXXXXXX 10mg and Chlorphenaramine Maleate 4mg.Should I take this for the sneezy allergy and the XXXXXXX dose per dayThanks
Posted Thu, 30 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes you can take. Please see below for the details Detailed Answer: Hi Mr XXXXXXX You can take Coriminic tablet. But i would prefer you to take tablets that contain only anti histamines like cetirizine. Coriminic contains central decongestant (phenylephrine HCL) that are required only if you have a blocked nose. Besides central decongestants come with unwanted side effects. Cetirizin is the preffered drug since it causes very minimal drowsiness as compared to chlorpheniramine maleate. Dose of cetirizine is 10 mg per day. Do not drink alcohol or drive or operate heavy machinery when you take any antihistamines because they can cause drowsiness. Rememeber to drink lots of water during episodes of running nose since you are losing water rapidly. Also for your information antihistamine sprays are also available. They are sprayed directly into the nose and hence are free from side effects like drowsiness. They are not available over the counter. You can talk to your ENT about it. And by the way maximum dose of coriminic is 3 per day. Regards, Dr Rajkishori.