Is Claritan safe for allergy?

I got an allergy attack several hours ago. It is a seasonal occurance for me. I live in Las Vegas,NV. The weather has been unusually warm here all winter. Plum trees in the back yard are blooming a month earlier than normal. We have had a windy day. I'm coughing and sneezing and my eyes are watering. I'm looking for a GENERIC ALLERGY MEDICINE THAT IS OVER THE COUNTER, WITH A NON -DROWSY FORMULA ; available at Walgreens or Walmart. This factor is very important because of price. I think that I will possibly have to go through several selections and experiment. What non-prescription generic medicine has the same drug as Claritan? There seems to be two or three basic medicines used for allergies (marketing gimicks and symantics asside). Any recommendations based on experiences of people who seem to have routine, un complicated average allergy attacks?
Posted Wed, 26 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Cori Baill 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Loratadine Detailed Answer: Claritan is a safe effective allergy medication and the generic formula is available over-the-counter, called Loratadine. It maybe marketed under other names. Look for the active ingredient. There are other over-the-counter medicines that can help with seasonal allergies. It may be trial and error to see which is the best for you. Fexofenadine is another popular choice. It's trade name is Allegra. It is also very safe and has the advantage of being a 12 hour dosing schedule.