Ask a Urologist   »  

Is Cipro the strongest antibiotic or is Doxycycline good? Have urinary urgency and burning

hi, i have been diagnosed with bacterial vaginitis - given insertable metronizadole, and then the UA came back + for UTI so now i have Cipro 250 mg bid. my boyfriend also has urinary urgency and burning at the end, his doc gave him doxycline. i always thought cipro was the strongest one - am i correct or is doxy good? i have some old 500 mg tablets of metronizadole i could give him (on hand in case of a recurrent diverticulitis attack). recommendations?
Posted Thu, 20 Sep 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
For Urinary tract infection, it is best to take the antibiotic according to your culture sensitivity report. Metronidazole is mainly effective in anaerobic infections and will not help your friend in UTI.
Doxycycline is also effective against urinary infections. In case the symptoms are persistent then you may cvonsider getting a urine culture done to find out the most effective antibiotic for the infection.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.