Is Cephalexin advisable for chlamydia treatment?

I was prescribed cephalexin to treat a possible case of chlamydia because I am allergic to several common treatments. But reading online it seems like it will not work online.
Posted Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: Its not a first choice Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. Cephalexin is not a drug of choice for chlamydia and you are right in suggesting that. The first line drugs for chlamydia are doxycycline tetracycline azithromycin and levofloxacin. Now you have also stated that you are allergic to.plenty of drugs. Probably that is the reason that your doctor has suggested this drug. You may check out frkm uour list whether you are allergic to any of theee four drugs I have mentioned. If you are a known allergic to these drugs then you may consider discussinh with your doctor these drygs as an option other yhan cephalexin. Cephalexin is not a first choice but it does act against chlamydia but not to much effect. Hence it is better avoided. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.