Is Ceftin a good antibiotic for sinus infections?

ENT Specialist
Question
Is ceftin a good antibiotic for sinus infections? Also painful bony area around the sinus?
Posted Tue, 4 Mar 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Brief Answer: As below: Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query. 1. Yes, Ceftin (Cefuroxime Axetil) is a good antibiotic for sinus infections. However, Augmentin (Amoxicillin Clavulanate) 625 mg BD would be a better choice. 2. In Chronic Sinusitis, Cefpodxime Clavulanate 325 mg BD may be an even better choice. 3. Sometimes, the infections are fungal. Get a plain Sinus CT done. With a history of multiple tooth extractions, especially in the upper jaw, it will help rule out any oro-antral fistula which may also lead to chronic sinusitis. 4. It is worthwhile to note that 'biofilm' formation may be one of the causes of frequent sinus infections. 5. Inadequate ventilation of the sinus may now be addressed by 'Radiofrequency ablation' and 'Balloon Sinuplasty'. I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them. Regards.

Follow-up: Is Ceftin a good antibiotic for sinus infections? 51 minutes later
Thank you Doctor, I have taken augmentin in the past...unfortunately, too many times. Its effectiveness has diminished. That's why I am considering an alternative. Your recommendation for a sinus CT scan is something that I will follow up on.

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: As below: Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for writing back. 1. Get a plain CT PNS (Para Nasal Sinuses) on a multi-slice scanner with at least 1 mm coronal, axial and sagittal cuts. In addition, a post decongestion scan 15 min after liberal use of Xylometazoline drops will help if you also have nasal congestion or obstruction. 2. You may follow up directly with the CT Scan images (not the report) at bit.ly/Dr-Sumit-Bhatti for an accurate assessment. 3. Get a nasal swab sent for culture and sensitivity (bacterial and fungal). I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them. Regards.