Is Cefpodoxime and Oflaxacin and urine culture the right medication and soultion for initial stages of typhoid?

I had deviating fever temperatures for the past four days. Also have cough(not severe) and sore throat. Had paracetamol tablets but it could not permanently solve the fever. Went to doctor and my urine test reports indicated S Typhi counts of O antigen of 1:80 dilution and H antigen of 1:80 dilution. Albumin - Present (++). Pus Cells were 6-8/ hpf and Epithelial Cells were 8 - 10 / hpf. The doctor said that it is the initial stages of typhoid and has prescribed for an antibiotic (Cefpodoxime and Oflaxacin) and has asked me to go for urine culture and sensitivity test and said that he would recommend one more anitobiotic depending on its results. Just wanted to know if this is the right medication and solution to the problem.
Posted Mon, 13 Jan 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 59 minutes later
Brief Answer: Get a blood culture, malarial test and dengue Igm Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. Typhoid fever usually presents with high grade fever and usually responds lately. The proper diagnosis can only be made after a week. With in first week one should go for blood culture, antigen (widal) becomes positive in second week, stool culture in 3rd week and urine culture in 4th week giving mnemonic XXXXXXX ... You can go for blood culture, but if have taken antibiotic, then may not grow the bacteria. Recommended treatment regimen includes cefixime 400 mg twice daily, or ceftriaxone 1g twice daily, or azithromycin 500mg once daily. At this juncture I will suggest to get checked for malaria, dengue and do blood culture. After the sample is sent, you can try combination of cefixime 400 mg twice daily and ofloxacin 400 mg twice daily...The fever will decrease gradually after 2-3 days of treatment.... For the fever try combination of paracetamol and nimesulide twice or thrice daily as needed... You will need a prescription for these medicines, so you should consult your doctor for the same. Best wishes