Is Cefalexin intake safe during pregnancy?

Infertility Specialist
I am 11 weeks pregnant, I started cefalexin yesterday night for the 1st time, and I couldn't sleep all night, I had a pain in my lower stomach with feels like period pain, I am scarred to take the pil again. I have done a miscarriage before this pregnancy and i don't want to go back to that stress..
Posted Tue, 25 Feb 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 37 minutes later
Brief Answer: Avoid antibiotic if possible Detailed Answer: Hi, I read your query and I understand your concerns. Following is my reply: 1) Take the cefalexin only if Urinary infection is bothering very much. 2) This is a powerful antibiotic and known to cause gastritis. Hence it is better to take an antacid tablet before this to prevent pain in stomach that you experienced. 3) Discuss with your doctor if you can avoid antibiotic or is it really necessary Let me know if you have anymore questions. Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol