Is C-PAP machine safe for health?

I am 58 yrs old suffering from obstructive sleep apnea, and using C-PAP it safe for health ? i use this machine with humidifier. does it affect throat ? because i am suffering from throat infection. and one more thing that if i reduce my weight will it cure apnea ? please guide me.
Posted Sun, 16 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kavita Paul 55 minutes later
Brief Answer: Continue use of CPAP,It is very safe Detailed Answer: Hi, I appreciate your concern.In case are suffering from Obstructive Sleep Apnea, CPAP is the most effective therapy available. CPAP delivers constant pressure, both during inspiration and expiration and works by blowing the airway open during sleep.It improves breathing,sleep quality,sleepiness,blood pressure and quality of life. It does not harm your throat, indeed it opens up your throat,so that you can breathe easily. It can lead to airway drying, so it is good if you are using it with humidifier. For your throat infection ,you can take oral antiallergics .Lozenges can be taken to soothen your throat.Warm saline gargles are also helpful. Weight Loss will definitely be helpful.Weight loss upto 10 % would be helpful,as it improves breathing,lowers blood pressure and improves lung functions. Avoid smoking and alcohol consumption.Avoid use of any sedatives ,which can worsen apnea. Avoid sleeping in supine position.Try sleeping on one's side rather than on stomach or back. Hope its helpful. Kindly ask in case of any query. Dr. Kavita Paul